Once you have made your choice to bottle-feed don’t let other people make you feel guilty. It is your baby, you body and your choice. Formula fed babies do thrive and you can be reassured that most infant formulas are designed to be as close to human breast milk as possible. Most formulas are fortified with all the necessary vitamins your baby and it is best to use a well-known and recognized brand.
To prepare bottles and nipples
- you must first wash them in hot soapy water and scrub the inside of the bottle with a brush
- Nipples must be washed inside and out with detergent then rinsed off thoroughly
- You have three choices of sterilization, boil them in a pot, soak them in an antimicrobial solution or a microwave bottle sterilizer
- You will need to use boiled water to make up the formula. Measure the formula out carefully and don’t compress the powder in the scoop.
- Scrape excess powder off the scoop level with a knife. Once you have prepared the bottle shake it thoroughly.
- Cradling your baby in your arms is the easiest position for feeding. To protect your clothes and your baby’s clothes, remember to put a bib on the baby.
- When your baby finishes his bottle tip any left over milk out because Bacteria from your baby’s mouth can be introduced into the milk and multiplies quickly.