What is Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis?
It is a method to check for genetic problems in the embryos before transferring them to the uterus. It is done by extracting a cell from the embryo with special instruments and then studying these cells.
How is Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis done?
- The woman is thoroughly investigation for ICSI preparation and to eliminate any known causes for failure
- An ovarian stimulation protocol is custom tailored for her and started
- Her follicle number and size and uterine lining is monitored by ultrasound and hormone testing
- When follicles and uterine lining reach adequate size another medicine is added to induce ovulation
- At a specific time in the hospital her follicles will be aspirated using a special needle installed on the vaginal ultrasound.
- The eggs are then fertilized with the male sperm and left in a special incubator which has the same atmosphere as the inside of a uterus and they are checked at a specific timetable to monitor the division of the cells.
- At a specific time the shell around the developing embryo is opened by laser machines and a professional specialist takes out a cell without harming the rest of the embryo.
- This cell is then studied for its genetic characteristics which involves knowing the genetic diseases that it carries.
- At a specific time embryos needed are replaced inside the uterus using special catheters and under supervision of ultrasound while the other embryos are cryopreserved or disregarded.
- The female is then asked to perform a pregnancy test after 14 days to know the results of her operation.
Dr. Ashraf Sabry , Fertility & OBGYN Consultant provides the best pre-implantation genetic diagnosis service due to his use of latest medical recommendations and his experience through multiple years of work and meeting with hundreds of patients.s of patients. That in addition to working with centers that provide state of the art instruments.